Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Full Members

Default Wearing the Valknut

I have heard different opinions on this and wanted some more input. I am interested in a ring that has the Valknut symbol on it. I have heard though that only folk who dedicate themselves should bear the symbol. My personal opinion is it is a symbol of our faith, I have alot in common with Oden but not enough to dedicate myself to him. I feel most in common with a mix of Thor, Odin, And Tyr. My question is do you have to dedicate yourself to bear a asatru symbol of our faith? I have heard that harm comes to people who bear the symbol and that Odin test them, maybe because they are dedicated? Im not dedicated to any particular god, but definatly dont want to anger any of them by wearing a symbol that only the dedicated should wear. Any help on this would be great

Head Forum Moderator

This is jewelry and as long as it is not consecrated, I really don't see a problem with it. But to educate the question, yes, people that dedicate themselves to Odinism usually do wear a Valknut. I have a tattoo of a valknut on my arm symbolizing that my life is dedicated to Odin and the Aesir. If this helps any, let me know.
    Odin, far wanderer, grant me wisdom,Courage, and Victory.
    Friend Thor, grant me your strength, And both be with me.

Full Members

I am wearing a Valknut quite permenantly. Personally to me, it has alot more in it than just an oridinary faith symbol. It has been with me ever since I took myself to the path of Åsatru and I have been through much with it, including some serious situations during my militairy service. This is the main symbol of Odin, and I aspire my actions and faith stay loyal and at "a level" with the Allfather.
    I have recently hallowed it, with a little help of a nice Godhi I know.
    It feels more right, now, wearing it. Even more than before.

Was Hæl

When in reference to the Valknut, dedicating yourself to Odin doesn't mean making him your patron god, it means that you have made the choice to be a warrior, never run away, fight to the death if necessary and enter his hall as Einherjar upon death. The Valkyrie look for that symbol on the dead to decide if one should be taken to Valhalla, or left to see Hel.

This is a very serious symbol, not for cowards, the hall of Odin is not for cowards, if you're willing to "Do right and fear no one" then this symbol is for you, if not, then don't wear it, or someone like me might come by and take it from you, along with whatever it's attached to.
    A.C.A.B.

Full Members

I thought and thought about this issue some time ago. And came to the conclusion that I wasn't ready or worthy to wear the sacred symbol yet. It is a holy symbol not a cute little decoration.
    One thing I can never get about never 'running' away is that at times it is stupid to simply battle/fight, I would never back out on a fight, but I'm not stupid to go charging when It is not needed and when it is not constructive. It was fine in the old times but its different today. Doing that today would most likely get you killed, and not n an honourable way I might add. There is no honour in doing nothing all life for our race but then dying in a fight that wasn't needed. Plus lets say there 10 people 1 of me, I'm gonna take on all of them? I'd rather walk off and ''live'' another day then catch up them when they are on there own, am I running away then?
    To me running away means being a coward.

Quote Originally Posted by Killwell View Post
    When in reference to the Valknut, dedicating yourself to Odin doesn't mean making him your patron god, it means that you have made the choice to be a warrior, never run away, fight to the death if necessary and enter his hall as Einherjar upon death. The Valkyrie look for that symbol on the dead to decide if one should be taken to Valhalla, or left to see Hel.

This is a very serious symbol, not for cowards, the hall of Odin is not for cowards, if you're willing to "Do right and fear no one" then this symbol is for you, if not, then don't wear it, or someone like me might come by and take it from you, along with whatever it's attached to.
    You can have whats attached to mine, my fist lol. You left some fist prints on me. Everone I know with the Valknut has put it on their body for life. For life meaning that we got them when we knew we were ready to die for what we believe.

Ill second that. Once you but that symbol on your dedicated to the Gods for life. Make sure your kids don't get it on them if they aren't gonna follow the Gods their whole life. I would suggest putting a hammer on you. Or a longship Idunna's Apple or any thing else viewed as a symbol of our faith.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peopleEmpire1leader View Post
    lets say there 10 people 1 of me, I'm gonna take on all of them? I'd rather walk off and ''live'' another day then catch up them when they are on there own, am I running away then?
    That's why you don't go anywhere alone, or you follow the Havamal and never leave your house without a weapon. I always have my best friend Mr. 9mm with me and he's good for 16 of 'em.
    A.C.A.B.

Full Members

Quote Originally Posted by Killwell View Post
    That's why you don't go anywhere alone, or you follow the Havamal and never leave your house without a weapon. I always have my best friend Mr. 9mm with me and he's good for 16 of 'em.
    Thats easier in America But I live in England we ain't allowed weapons, You can be sent down for a Swiss Army Knife here!

Full Members

There are ways around that. Hair pins, darts, small weapons like that. I go everywhere with as many small weapons I can. as long as they can't be seen easy. In you're position, you can use little items. You can use just about anything, if it's bad to carry any type of blade, load a sock up with coins. Just think and look around and you may see everyday things that you can use.